Clear orthodontic aligners
Orthodontic treatment is the best treatment option to align teeth and provide a beautiful smile. When we think about aligners, first we imagine traditional brae aligners but today there are different types of orthodontic aligners in the market including clear orthodontic aligners. Each type of orthodontic treatment will vary for each patient and range in the price and length of the treatment.
Generally orthodontic correct the teeth position, concern what can cause teeth move to the proper position and what is needed for a fully functional bite.
What are clear orthodontic aligners?
Clear orthodontic aligners also called invisible aligners are a type of orthodontic treatment that can straight the misaligned teeth without wires and brackets of the traditional braces. These invisible aligners which contain a sequence of removable and clear trays attach over the teeth to straight them and move into the proper position. Usually, each tray should be worn for around 20 hours for a specified time until progress to the next ones. Generally, clear aligners can straight and align teeth from 6 to 18 months.
Clear orthodontic aligners are not proper for people with severe crowding or spacing, patients with mild or moderate crowding and minor spacing issues can benefit from invisible aligners. Patients who suffer from an overbite, underbite, crossbite, and malocclusion should apply for more advanced orthodontic treatment.
How do they work?
Same as other orthodontic treatment, clear aligners that are made of clear and flexible plastic move your teeth to the proper position. Your orthodontist designs a plan with the help of specialized computer software for moving your teeth to the best position. Your treatment period consists of several stages and for each stage, you should wear two custom made plastic mouth trays or aligners, one fit over the top teeth and another one for the bottom teeth. Each set should be worn for at least two weeks and then progress to another set until your teeth align properly.
Pros and cons of clear orthodontic aligners
Unlike the traditional brace, clear aligners are removable for eating, brushing, flossing, and important social occasions. There are also some other benefits with clear aligners including:
- Better oral hygiene. When your orthodontic aligners are removable you can clean them more properly and easily.
- More dietary choices. When you wear metal brace you should avoid eating some foods but with clear orthodontic aligners, you are still able to bite into an apple.
- Nightguards protection. Clear aligners act like a thin nightguard and protect your teeth if you have tooth grinding or clenching habit.
- Comfort. Since clear aligners are made of soft and flexible material, they won’t irritate the soft tissues of the mouth the same as metal wires and braces.
- A discreet look. With clear orthodontic aligners, you don’t need to worry about your self-image and you are more comfortable.
Clear orthodontic treatment has also some disadvantages such as:
- It is not proper for severely crooked or misaligned teeth. Clear aligners can’t fix sever misaligned teeth and they are proper just for mild and moderated problems.
- Buttons may be needed to help the aligners stay in place. Sometimes buttons should be placed back of the teeth to help clear aligners stay in place. These buttons may be uncomfortable when you remove your aligner for eating or brushing.
- More brushing and flossing. You need to brush and floss your teeth after each meal and drink in order to remove and clean plaque and food particles from your teeth and decrease the risk of cavities.
Generally, the cost of clear orthodontic treatment is more than the traditional ones but it is worth it. You need to take care of your invisible aligners properly because if you lose them or fail to wear them properly, you have to order new trays.